Telangana: Sugarcane farmers in Zaheerabad face challenges as sugar mill ceases operations

Sangareddy, Telangana: Sugarcane farmers in the Zaheerabad region are grappling with challenges as Trident Sugar Ltd, located in the suburbs, has ceased operations, reported  The New Indian Express.

This development has forced farmers to explore alternative markets for their cultivated sugarcane, necessitating travel to neighboring areas for sales.

With the Trident Sugar Factory discontinuing the crushing of sugarcane, farmers are now redirecting their produce to Ganapathi Sugars near Sangareddy and Gayatri Sugar Factory in Magi, Kamareddy district. This shift has resulted in substantial transportation costs, adding an extra burden on the already challenged farmers. In the Zaheerabad area, approximately 8 tonnes of sugarcane have been harvested, and 70% of this quantity requires transportation to Ganapathi Sugars in Sangareddy, while the remaining 30% needs to be transported to Gayatri Sugars.

Farmers have expressed their preference for transporting crops to the Gayatri Sugar factory, even though it is 90 km away, compared to the 120 km journey to Sangareddy from Nyalkal Mandal. The financial strain on laborers is evident, with charges of Rs 500 per tonne for cutting sugarcane and an additional Rs 600 for transportation.

Reflecting on the historical significance of sugarcane cultivation in the region, farmers recounted the establishment of the Nizam Sugar government factory in 1970 by the late Mogaligundla Baga Reddy. They highlighted the sustainability of red soil in the Zaheerabad area for the cultivation of various commercial crops, including potatoes, peppers, carrots, beetroots, cabbages, and various other vegetables.

Expressing their grievances, farmers urged the owners of the Trident industry to either manage the factory efficiently or consider selling it to someone willing to revive its operations. Previous agitation programs by farmers sought the payment of outstanding dues. Farmers are now calling on the government to intervene, ensure prompt payment of dues, and facilitate the swift recommencement of industry operations. The additional burden of transportation costs continues to weigh heavily on the already strained agricultural community in the region.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here