Chennai: SISSTA’s 49th Annual Convention, one of the leading event for sugar and sugarcane industry, wrapped up its successful 2019 event in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. The event lasted for two days from June 28 to June 29 with an aim to uplift the sector.
The event witnessed the participation of over 600 participants, including many well-known dignitaries from the Government and industry apart from scientists from research institutes. They shared their expertise on how the sugar industry could continue to improve their performance. Among other vital aspects, the event also focused on the use of technology in order to boost the sector.
The panellist on the event discussed an overview of the challenges, strengths, threats, potential solutions, future direction, industrial collaborations, as well as opportunities and the risks involved for the sector.
A Joint Technical Paper presentation was held where manufacturers and service providers participated. The Technical Sessions on Sugarcane, Process, By Product, was chaired by eminent personalities from the Sugar Industry.
SISSTA presented awards for the Best Performing Sugar Mills in Sugarcane, Co-Gen, Engineering and Distillery with separate awards for Sugar Mills from Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu.
The Sugar Expo 2019, an exhibition of products and services was also inaugurated during the event.
The South Indian Sugarcane & Sugar Technologists’ Association (SISSTA) has been extending its operations over the states of Tamil Nadu, Pondicherry, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka.
Shri. AC Patil, President, SISSTA in his welcome address said, “Our sugarcane research Institutes in India are working for the introduction of new varieties of sugarcane, which would be drought resistant and give good recovery. Indian sugar industry is also one of the main drivers of our rural economy and it supports our 50 million farmers livelihood.”
The guest speakers at the two-day event include experienced from the industry like:
- Shri Mrugesh R. Nirani, CMD of Nirani group of industries and MLA, Karnataka
2. Shri G.K Arun Sundar Thayalan, I.A.S., Additional director of sugar, Tamil Nadu
3.Shri S. Suresh, Managing Director, E.I.D. perry (I) Ltd., Tamil Nadu
4. Shri. Shashikantgouda B. Patil, Chairman, The Nandi .S.S.K Niyamit, Karnataka
5. Shri K.G Shantaram, IAS, Commissioner for cane development and director of sugar, Karnataka
6. Shri. L. Murali, Director (sugar) and Commissioner, Andhra Pradesh
7. Shri. Bhanru Maloth, I.T.S, Director sugar and Commissioner (cane ), Telangana
8. Shri. R Nanda Kumar, Chairman, Natems sugar Pvt. Ltd., and president – SISMA Andhra Pradesh
9. Smt. T. Sarita Reddy, Managing Director, Gayatri Sugars Ltd., Telangana